Tuesday, September 6, 2016

LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS (10 Minutes play)

"Thinking will not overcome fear but action will" 

W. Clement Stone




Without further introduction as I feel like I might have a lot to explain to a certain person that might be the only one reading this (W) here it goes. By the way, this time I wrote a short 10 minutes play instead of a short film.


LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS

Scene 1

At rise we find ourselves in the middle of nowhere, anywhere. A dessert. The sun light slightly increasing. That burning, suffocating hour that can turn lethal in such place.

On stage right is a rock. ROBERT, 14 sits against it covering himself with the shadow it creates and his brother MATT, 9 stands a little further up looking at the sky.

MATT
Do you see it Robert?

ROBERT
See what?

MATT
Look at the sky. It's right there. In plain sight!

ROBERT
I don't see sausage Matt. Please shut up and go back to sleep.

MATT
Don't look at it then. I don't care.

Both hold their places. Matt stares at the sky creating a shade over his eyes with his hands.

ROBERT
What is it this time?

MATT
Nothing... It's gone.

ROBERT
Look at that. What a surprise. Now it's gone.

MATT
I told you there was something in the sky you ignored me. Now you want to see it, well now it is gone!

He sits next to his brother still looking at the sky.
MATT(con't)
It was too high to see us anyway.

ROBERT
(Patronizing)
They are always to high to see us aren't they?

MATT
I hate you!

ROBERT
Why now?

Matt gets up and throws rocks at the vast emptiness.​ His anger building up throw after throw.

MATT
Because you're doing that thing again.

ROBERT
What thing again?

MATT
That smart thing you do to make me look like an idiot.

ROBERT
ohhh, you mean patronizing you.

MATT
No, that's a stupid word you just came up with.

ROBERT
So, I'm not patronizing you but I'm making you look stupid. Hmmm, interesting. What's the word we're looking for then?

MATT
Stupid! Stupid just like what you did to get us here, that's the word we're looking for, stupid.

ROBERT
I did nothing to get us here and you know that.

MATT
Yes you did! You never listened to him. You never obeyed his orders. You had to go and speak up. Why couldn't you remain quite?

ROBERT
And let him do to us what he always did? You rather be at that house getting beat every day for no reason? Would you rather?!

MATT
Not that we can go back anyways.

ROBERT
I don't want to go back.

MATT
But I do. I want to see mom. Imagine how hard will it be for her alone with him.

ROBERT
I don't feel sorry for her.

MATT
How can you say that?

ROBERT
Matt, did mom ever do anything to help us?

MATT
She cried. She told him to leave us alone.

ROBERT
But did she actually do anything to help us? Did she?

MATT
Don't talk about mom.

ROBERT
Fine, let's not talk about mom.

Matt sits next to his brother and plays with a dry lizard skeleton. They remain silent for a few minutes.
MATT
Do you think they stopped looking?

ROBERT
Didn't you see a flying thing just now? Maybe that's them looking for us aren't they?

MATT
(Starts to cry)

ROBERT
What now?

MATT
No one is looking for us Robert. Why are you so stupid?

ROBERT
You were the one seeing flashlights last night! And hearing sounds and flying objects!

MATT
I made them up.

ROBERT
No shit! You made them up?

MATT
So that you wouldn't be scared.

ROBERT
Me scared? I've never been scared!

MATT
Yes you have.

ROBERT
Never!

MATT
How about that time you broke dad's tv remote control.

ROBERT
That was different.

MATT
Why?

ROBERT
Cuz he was chasing after me with a branding iron!
(Silence)

MATT
We will be like this lizard by time they find us.

ROBERT
If they find us.

Robert stands up and starts to look for something on the ground. Far away from Matt. The sound of a vehicle is heard approaching.
MATT
You hear that?

ROBERT
Stop making things up. I'm not scared. I told you.

MATT
I'm not making anything up. This time is real. Listen!

They listen attentively to the sound of a vehicle approaching then stopping. They look at each other.  Robert walks towards Matt.

ROBERT
This is it!

MATT
You think?

ROBERT
Shhhh.

They stand up and start waving.
MATT
Here! Over here! Oh God Robert. Do you see them?

ROBERT
We're here. Over here!

A group of people is heard approaching.

DORIS
(Offstage)
Best if we split. I'll go this way. This is within the parameter the father said he left them.

MATT
She's coming this way. Oh Robert she's pretty!

ROBERT
Stop jumping like that she can't see you.

MATT
Oh but she's so close to us.

ROBERT
Yes she is.

DORIS, 40 wearing dessert appropriate clothes enter stage left. Always talking into a walkie talkie.

DORIS
Ok guys. Please report anything you see. Any piece of clothes, signs of disruption on the ground, anything.

MATT
Over here! We're here!

ROBERT
Calm down Matt. She will find us.

MATT
What do you mean calm down. Don't you want her to see us? What's wrong with you? (To Doris) Here! Over here!

ROBERT
Here she comes.

Doris is walking around looking for them. Nothing. All of a sudden she notices something on stage right towards the directions the children are standing. She covers her eyes to protect them from the sun light.

DORIS
I think I see something.

She walks towards them slowly. There's something in her expression that's discerning to Matt.

MATT
Is she about to cry?

ROBERT
Looks like it.

MATT
Do we know her? Robert tell me. I don't want to look like an idiot if she know us and I don't remember her.

She's closer to them now.

DORIS (CON'T)
(Emotionally affected)
Oh, I do think I found them.

MATT
Come on woman don't cry. We're here, we're alive.

Matt is about to run towards her but Robert holds him back. She's now standing in front of them.

MATT (CON'T)
Hey lady. Stop looking down we're here, up. Look up. (to Robert) What's wrong with her can't she see us?

DORIS
I found the kids. It's them. I found them.

She walks away and sits crying. Waiting for the others to come.

DORIS (CON'T)
Sorry, it is always this hard.

ROBERT
I'm sorry Matt.

MATT
She can't see us. I hoped....

ROBERT
She can't. No one can't.

MATT
That's it, we're gone?

ROBERT
Not until they take us back to the city.

MATT
Do you think they'll take us to mom?

ROBERT
I hope not. She wouldn't know what to do with us.

MATT
She will cry.

ROBERT
She always cry.

A moment. 

ROBERT
No more running around hiding under the bed.

MATT
No more crying for help while others ignored us.

ROBERT
He got rid of us.

MATT
WE got rid of him.

ROBERT
How come you're sounding so smart all of a sudden?

MATT
I'm doing that smart thing you do do to make me look stupid.

ROBERT
You're trying to patronize me?

MATT
Not that. I'm trying to make you look stupid.

Lights starts to fade on the children who are now running after each other, playing. Doris, still sad over the finding stands up to wave at unseen people. She signals towards the area where the bodies were found and starts walking towards them.

Lights off.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice.....loved the 10m play.....touches on a lot of things....child abuse, runaways, sibling rivalry....well written
    W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised by the turned the story took when I was writing. All of a sudden these things you mention started coming out.

      Thanks for reading W!

      Delete